Friday, April 2, 2010

What Divorce Law is Doing to Marriage Part 1

Back in 2007 I typed up almost all of the book called "From Courtship to Courtroom" by Jed Abraham

I put this up on the public section of Don't Get Married Board. I will copy and paste the 50 posts I did on this book. This will also get a bookmark for the June project.



I am now holding a copy of the book “From Courtship to Court Room” (What Divorce Law Is Doing To Marriage) On our MRA sites we try to warn men about the one sided laws in Marriage. If you have warm and fuzzy feelings about love and marriage then I will be shattering your fantasies. I will be telling my readers the cold hard truth about divorce law through the eyes of Jed Abraham who practices family law and has witnessed thousands of divorces.

I have started a school semester so I don’t know how fast I will be cranking these summaries out but I promise to be very thorough when doing these summaries for I will be going from page to page to make sure you have all the information of what is going on behind the scenes. This is a book I would highly recommend buying for your friends.

In the acknowledgment section Jeb’s mother who was married for 49 years insisted that Jeb should write a book telling men that they shouldn’t be getting married anymore.

When this book was written in 1999 Jeb estimates that 1 million men get divorced every year and that is half of the men who got married. In states like California the divorce rate is way higher.

Here are a few excerpts from the Preface section

Excerpt #1

If you’re like most men, you’re married, or you hope to marry some day. You think you deserve to live happily ever after, but if things don’t work out that way, you’ll get a civilized divorce and move on. You’’ stay pals with your ex, and you’ll see your kids as often as you want.

You have no idea what you’re getting into.

Excerpt #2

In this book, I sketch case-situations that show how divorce law has undermined marriage for men.

Excerpt #3

But there is another, unique ingredient in this witches’ brew: the women’s movement. For two generations now, a culturally triumphant feminism has validated the movement of married women away from homemaking and into the workplace, all the while successfully characterizing traditional marriage as the creation of evil, patriarchal men intent on repressing women. Many women, even women who would not consider themselves feminists, have internalized these attitudes, while many men, even men who pay lip service to feminist ideals, have not. When a consciousness-raised female marries an unreconstructed male, she brings ancestral attitudes that automatically aggravate her ambivalence. When she turns to divorce law for an out, she is welcomed by an array of economic and social incentive that encourage her to proceed. . This amplification of women’s propensity to divorce may well account for virtually the entire doubling of the divorce rate since the 1960’s. It seems also to account, at least in part, for the uncharacteristically bad things that otherwise good women do to decent men.


In my next summary I will be starting on page 1 on the introduction. The book is 160 pages long and I don’t know how summaries it will take to get this all covered but the cold hard truth should be out in public for everyone to read.